[argyllcms] FreeBSD, USB: use system library

  • From: Boris Samorodov <bsam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 20:39:58 +0400

Hi All,

while building ArgyllCMS at FreeBSD I get the following log:
-----
jam -q -fJambase -j 3
Argyll Jamrules has been read
DESTDIR = '.', PREFIX = '/usr/local', REFSUBDIR = 'ref'
Using system TIFF library
Using system JPEG library
don't know how to make <libusb>libusb.a      [*]
...patience...
...found 1055 target(s)...
...updating 342 target(s)...
...can't find 1 target(s)...
...can't make 10 target(s)...
Cc_ numlib/numsup.o
[...]
Link_ jcnf/test
Chmod1 jcnf/yajl/json_verify
Chmod1 jcnf/test
...skipped 10 target(s)...
...updated 342 target(s)...
*** [all] Error code 1
-----

[*] seem to be the culprit. If I use the system usb library
(i.e. copy /usr/lib/libusb.a to SRC/libusb) then the process
proceeds and all programs are build (and work).

I've got an answer from the FreeBSD USB code maintainer:
-----
In FreeBSD -lusb is a multi-API library, including v0.1, v1.0 and v2.0.
Header files are in /usr/include
-----

A note: this is about modern FreeBSD USB API (since FreeBSD 8.x).

So AFAIK the system libraries from FreeBSD may (should?) be used
to compile ArgillCMS code.

The question is: how this should be done? I'm totally ignorant
in the way ArgillCMS builds (jam, etc.) and unfortunately can't
suggest a patch. But obviously, copying the system library to
sources is not The Right Thing to Do. :-)

Thanks!
--
WBR, Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD Committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve