[argyllcms] Re: Feature request (and an implied question)

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:24:55 -0700
On 2010 Jul 27, at 9:58 AM, Hal V. Engel wrote:

> On Monday 26 July 2010 09:14:24 pm Ben Goren wrote:
>>

>> (just as musical pitches are assumed to be equal
>> temperament from A = 440 Hz unless otherwise specified).
>>

> Not to belabor the point but the assumptions about musical tonality are not
> correct.

Erm...this is getting waaaaaay off topic...but, if you specify a pitch without
any other context, equal temperament from A=440 really is the standard. All of
your examples have context.

> [. . .] the C in an A major cord [. . . .]

There's no C in an A Major triad. There's a C# in an A Major triad. The C in an
a minor triad would need to be raised by a few cents. The C in an Ab Major
triad would be the one needing to be lowered by several cents...in isolation,
since, in practice, chord progressions influence the required pitches of
surrounding chords. Think, for example, pedal tones...in some cases, the pedal
needs to be kept constant (which will require the other notes to shift), and in
others the pedal needs to be the one to change pitch, and still others both
need to adjust...and all of this needs to take into consideration the quirks of
the particular instrument, which will already deviate from equal temperament by
a fair amount...

...assuming the rest of the ensemble can actually play in tune, which is,
sadly, an all-too-rare occurrence....

As you might guess from my domain name, I'm a professional trumpeter....

Cheers,

b&