[argyllcms] Re: FWA Compensation

  • From: <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 10:47:52 -0000

OK, great, thanks Graeme.  I was a bit puzzled as the results didn't seem to
add up.

As you are doing a new release, I don't suppose you would be able to add an
option for the i1Pro2 to measure UV on / off for spotread?  i1Profiler has
this feature and it's very useful to get an estimate of how much FWA is in
the paper (for example, with a particular paper the b* reading is -15 with
UV and -4 without ... which gives a good indication of very high FWA
content).  [Also, by looking at the a* reading too it gives an idea of the
extent of the color shift due to the FWA. In the case of this particular
paper b* went from 3 with UV to 0.5 without, so quite a magenta tint caused
by the UV].

As Argyll also allows spotread for a reflective measurement with the paper
(illuminated by the lamp), this would allow three readings: spot white UV on
and off, and reflected white.  If the b* readings were, say, -15, -4 and -6
this would give a comparison between the UV content of the i1 (presumably a
known value?) and the lamp, so that an estimate of the UV content of the
illuminant could be worked out.

Robert