[argyllcms] Re: FWA Compensation

  • From: <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 13:50:07 -0000

Hi Alan,

I guess what I meant is that although we understand the basic principle of
OBC (that is, to compensate for the effect of UV on the OBAs), in practical
terms we seem pretty fuzzy about the usefulness or effectiveness of OBC.

I completely agree that using papers with no OBAs or very little is a good
move.  I use Canson Platine, Canson Arches Aquarelle (no OBAs in either) and
Canson Baryta (which has just a little OBA as far as I can see).

However I also need to use the Canson Photo HiGloss as I use this paper to
laminate under acrylic and it does have a fair amount of OBAs (again, as far
as I can see).  I do often know the illuminant (or can find out),
particularly for galleries and exhibitions, so I would like to know the
effectiveness of OBC for this paper.  But at this point I'm not convinced
that it's worth the trouble.

As for yellowing on papers that have OBAs ... well, they will just end up as
papers with less OBAs and so they will look yellower.  I'm not sure that
this is a problem, unless they end up being much yellower than a paper like
the Platine which has no OBAs. Is that what happens, do you know?

Robert