[argyllcms] Re: FWA Compensation

  • From: <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 11:54:12 -0000

Graeme Gill wrote on 09 December 2014 04:50:

>Hi Robert,
>       I'm not sure of the usefulness of trying to hold a conversation
> on your posts to Luminous Landscape (LL) in a different forum such as
this.

>I'll therefore respond on LL.

Yes, that would be better.  I posted on this forum because there are
questions that need your input - for example, why the test I did using FWA
compensation with Argyll appears to be adding blue/magenta to the FWA print,
compared to the D50 print.

BTW ... i1Profiler seems to be doing a poor job of OBC and it is a lot more
complicated to use than Argyll, so it would be worth doing a really good
test between the two.  My problem is that I don't really know how to set up
this test, in particular how to know how much UV there is in my illuminant.
Perhaps there's an indirect way of estimating that (illumread clearly does
this, but I don't understand the plots enough to be able to say that
illumread indicates that this particular illuminant has high UV and this one
has low UV).

In general, based on the various discussions on LL, it seems that a lot of
people claim to understand OBC, but a bit of digging shows that really they
do not, and most people don't bother with it because they have no way of
seeing the benefits (assuming that there really are benefits).

Robert