[argyllcms] Re: FW: Profiling Epson ABW Print Driver

  • From: "Alan Goldhammer" <agoldhammer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 10:47:42 -0400

Ernst,

Thanks for the comments.  The price is not the issue here but rather the
extra steps that one has to do using QTR.  The problem is the legacy
X-Rite/GM applications are not available any longer.  My i1 Pro came bundled
with the new Profilemaker software but that only allows you to do  monitor
calibrations and I would have to pay the upgrade price to get functionality
to read print target patches.  Argyll CMS has a 'spotread' utility that
permits the measurement of LAB values which I think is all that is needed
for making profiles using QTR.  I would have to read individual patches
which is laborious if one is going to do repeat measurements to make sure
there is no error in reading.  What would be more useful is if I could print
out a patch set and use one of the other Argyll tools to use the scanning
function of the i1 which is certainly a lot easier.  However, I think Argyll
is configured to use its own tools in preparing and reading targets which
may lead to different sets of patches than Roy has.

I'm going to continue to look into this.  I've gotten to the point where
Argyll is quite easy to use and intuitively I thought how easy it is to
print out a B/W target set and read it.

Alan