[argyllcms] FW: Profiling Epson ABW Print Driver

  • From: "Alan Goldhammer" <agoldhammer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 08:50:19 -0400

I do a lot of B&W printing using the Epson ABW print driver.  It gives a
darker black than the normal RGB driver and an almost linear response.  It
just occurred to me that I can use Argyll to prepare a set of B/W target
patches and this should allow me to make a profile for this print driver
that will give me the linearity that I desire.  Have any in the Argyll user
community tried this and if so, what type of results did you achieve?  I'm
going to go ahead and give it a try for one paper and see what the results
are.  I will use the targen -d0 command to prepare the targets.  I know that
Eric Chan (an Adobe software engineer; I have provided him with paper to do
so) has prepared such profiles and uses a 51 step gray scale to do this.
I'll use this as a starting point and do another target with some more
patches.

Alan