[argyllcms] Eye One Display vs Eye One Pro?

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:06:49 -0600

I first bought an Eye One Display and used it to calibrate/profile my
display(s).   Subsequently, I decided I needed more than my scanner to
profile my printer, so I decided to get an Eye One Pro.  (The fact that
I could find one with a good discount also helped.)  But now I have two
means to profile my display(s), and I wonder whether there are likely to
be significant differences.   The Eye One Display is certainly easier to
use. It rests easily on the (LCD) monitor surface, and everything goes
smoothly when I use dispcal.  But the Eye One Pro came with a
calibration certificate and when it is used, there is a preliminary step
establishing a reference.  So I presume it is more accurate.  But I find
it awkward to use with my monitor.  No matter how I orient the monitor,
the Eye One Pro refuses to lie flat, and I have to hold it in place.  It
is also heavy and has a tendency to fall.

I still haven't looked into testing my profile calibration/profile in
any formal sense, but just visually, it doesn't appear to change things
by a whole lot, so I think my monitor must be pretty close to sRGB to
start.

So I ask the following questions.  Just how do the two instruments
differ and how much should results differ?   If the Eye One Pro will do
a better job, will the difference be large enough to merit my trying to
figure out ways to work around the problems I have putting it on my
monitor?
--
Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Mathematics Department, Northwestern University