[argyllcms] Re: Error: "Insrument is missing the Normal or LCD calibration table"

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 08:29:31 +1000

Nick Hall wrote:
> I ran "dispcal -v9 -D9 -y l nick" and chose option 5 (Check all). I get the
> following output:

> Instrument Type:   ColorVision Spyder2
> Serial Number:     00654644
> Hardware version:  0x0300

> read_sample returned 'Hardware Failure' (Insrument is missing the Normal or
> LCD calibration table)
> spyd2: about to get a reading

Hi,

When I added Spyder 4 support I incorporated it into the Spyder 2 and 3
driver, and added some checks that were missing. It appears that your
instrument is faulty, in that it's missing the flags that say it
has any calibration tables programmed into it.

I happen to have wound up with 3 Spyder 2's with serial numbers earlier,
about the same, and latter than yours, and all have:

Hardware version:  0x0307

The '7' is a set of flags indicating that they have both CRT and LCD
calibration tables, plus an extra special purpose table.

So it seems that one of the following is the case:

1) The flags value is not being read correctly
2) The flags value has not been programmed into your instrument
3) The calibration tables are missing and the flags value has not been set.

It's quite possible that earlier versions of Argyll were not
checking these flags, which is why it used to work, and would
indicate that 3) is not the case.

Question: Does the instrument work with the manufacturers software ?