[argyllcms] "Enhance"

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 10:50:08 -0700

So, I’m ironing out the last few kinks in my new art reproduction workflow. I
know I’m getting superlative results colorimetrically. I’m going to be doing
some prints in the coming weeks that I know are going to be nigh-on impossible
to distinguish from the originals in side-by-side comparisons.

…but some of these are also being used for email and MyFaceTwit and that sort
of thing, and the response from the artist is, “The pictures look washed out on
the screen.”

It occurs to me that this is something that might actually lend itself to an
objective approach rather than just suggesting she play around with the
pictures in iPhoto. The originals are watercolors…and watercolors have a
smaller tonal range than a display.

Might there be some way of using Argyll to do something along the lines of a
gamut map to approximately find the black point of the ink and the white point
of the paper and stretch the tonal range? Something akin to an “auto levels” in
Photoshop? I don’t know if there’l be a similar desire to stretch saturation;
if so, that can wait until later.

This is obviously stepping beyond the normal use of these tools…but it seems to
me that there’s a good chance that Argyll is going to do a better job at this
than anything else.

Thanks,

b&