[argyllcms] Re: Displaying sRGB graphics on wide gamut monitors - gamma problem?

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 13:16:25 +0200

I think that the color management engine will take care about the gamma,
gamut and WP together (if it's a proper one ; but the WP correction also
depends on the used rendering intent mode, like Relative or Absolute
colorimetric ; and you may have options to manually set other things...).
The colors will be re-mixed to achieve the closest possible state.

The problem can be the definition of the target values. Your calibration
target doesn't really matter when you characterize your calibrated display
and the software do the corrections (and you need software corrections for
the gamut emulation).
An example:
You have a display with gamma 1.7
You calibrate it to gamma 2.4 (imagine a 10+ bit display with accessible
hardware LUTs...)
You profile this calibrated display, so the software will know that you have
a display with gamma 2.4
The embedded profile in the sources (or the software's assumptions about
these values for untagged sources - like sRGB for web contents, Rec709 for
HD videos, etc.) is (for example) gamma 2.2
Now, the software will do a correction to show you an image with gamma 2.2
gradiation (imagine that you use true 30 bit display mode ; or you can see
some glitches as well, but it doesn't really matter here).

This is one of the reasons why I played with the idea to skip the
calibration and do a high quality profiling only.
My softwares didn't worked well but may be you should give it a try.

But this won't solve your problems with the target setup. (May be you have
some manual controls for the CMS modul, and you can set some offsets. For
example, a multiplier for the gamma, you would apply 2.4/2.2, but it depends
on the software controls.)

Or you can change your view conditions or others may have better ideas. :)