[argyllcms] Re: Display calibration with Eye-One Display 2

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 00:43:43 +1000

Tilo Nitzsche wrote:

The beginning of the stdout+stderr output is attached. Each line is
timestamped (using multilog) in case that helps. I completely forgot that
there was an error message when reading the first patch and that the fast
patch cycling would happen after that.

Thanks. The issue is here:

2007-05-15 14:56:22.752564500 i1disp: Sending cmd 16 args '02 00'
2007-05-15 14:56:22.768548500 i1disp: Message send failed with ICOM err 0x200
2007-05-15 14:56:22.768550500

This is a basic USB "write failed" type error. The instrument obviously resets
after this so it needs unlocking, which the driver currently doesn't
recognize or correct. I've no idea why the USB write has failed. It
might be able to recover and continue if I made it recognize the
lock and unlock again, but this error would probably occur again.

It's been suggested to me that USB operation under Virtual OS's aren't
all that reliable, so it's possible this might be an explanation. Have
you tried running it under Ubuntu 6.10 native, rather than under VMware ?

Also, don't use -K with display instruments unless there is a specific
reason to do so. There is a bug in the V0.70B3 code that causes the wrong
type of calibration to be performed, and even if it was working correctly,
it's hardly something that needs doing every time the instrument used.
Once every now and again is usually the rule for display instruments.