[argyllcms] Re: Display calibration - Hardware question

  • From: <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 12:10:21 +0100

<<< The i1Pro2 comes for 3 times the price of a CMP.
Do you think it's worth the price difference?
I ask both in terms of general use (including reflective measurements
as well) and for display measuring (colorimeter profiling) only.
I liked to experiment with printer profiling and measurement based
camera profiling, even though I never really achieved great results
(especial with cameras) and thus I rarely done similar things (only a
few printer profiles here and there over the years).>>>

Here are my 2-cents worth, strictly as a user.  I have both an i1D3 and an
i1Pro2. The i1D3 calibrates an Eizo CG277 I have extremely well, using
Eizo's ColorNavigator (it gets a better black point than the i1Pro2).

I also have a Dell U2713H and the i1D3 is almost unusable for it (or was,
the last time I tried) using Dell's (X-Rite's) Ultrasharp Color Calibration
Solution or X-Rite's i1Profiler (basically the same software), giving a
calibration around 800K below what it should be.

With a ccmx file created using the i1Pro2, the i1D3 calibrates/characterises
the Dell fine (with Argyll) ... but the problem is that this can only be
used for the Custom Color setting, which does not use the display's hardware
calibration.

Both monitors have basically the same wide-gamut panel from LG, so the
problem is not with the i1D3, but with the X-Rite EDF file (effectively same
as the ccmx). So it's a software problem rather than a fundamental problem
with the i1D3.

It's very nice having an i1Pro2 (and you can always buy the i1Basic package
if you don't need to do print profiles using i1Profiler ... you can use
Argyll for that with the i1Basic anyway) ... but I don't see how it would be
worth the money if you only really want it for display calibration.  Better
to use the i1D3 and if necessary borrow an i1Pro/2 to generate the ccmx file
for it.

Robert