[argyllcms] Re: Display calibration - Hardware question

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 18:12:19 +1000

János, Tóth F. wrote:
> The position detector is indeed optical. I don't see that easily
> repaired without some replacement parts or at all (at least easily and
> economically at home, unless the problem is dust on the sensors and/or
> reflective surfaces - there are two sensors and three reflective
> sticks [two in a group] to unambiguously distinguishes the four dialer
> positions, it's a clever an indeed a robust design).

It's worth just cleaning up the sensors and optical target, and
seeing if it works any better.

> But I guess the problem is the USB ribbon cable. Before the
> disassembling I heard a small clicking-like noise and saw the
> notification lights rapidly light up for a short moment as I moved the
> dialer away from the reflective/display position and the USB
> connection got lost halfway through to the self-calibration position.
> Now I that I see this ribbon cable in place and I heard what kind of
> noise it makes when it moves, I guess it was that. And not there is no
> USB connection anymore, no matter how I move that cable.

Yes, conceivably the flexible PCB might go open circuit with a lot of flexing.
Finding a replacement is probably not easy though...

> saw some cases when it moved further away). - However, we talk about
> dE differenced of about 1-2 or so, thus nothing extreme.

The Munki spectral sensitivity curves derive their reference indirectly
to a CS2000, but that "indirect" could conceivably add a delta E.

Whereas creating a .ccmx ties the i1d3 directly to the Munki, so
one would expect better agreement.