[argyllcms] Display Calibration. Setting up RGBCMY Hue/Saturation controls.

  • From: Ivan Kadomin <ivan.kadomin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 13:24:27 +0300

Hello,

I'm trying to calibrate and profile my display. In it's OSD panel there are some presets "Standard", "sRGB", "AdobeRGB", etc. and also "Custom Colors". In all modes except the "Custom Colors" Contrast and Brightness settings are available only. In "Custom Colors" in addition to RGB Gain and RGB Bias controls there are RGBCMY Hue/Saturation controls. In dispcal utility there are options that help user to properly setup RGB Gain and RGB Bias. But how should I act to setup RGBCMY Hue/Saturation controls of the display properly?

Why do I think that it is important to setup RGBCMY Hue/Saturation controls properly. I tried to calibrate and profile display in "Standard" and "Custom Colors" presets and found the following. With the default OSD settings gamut in "Custom Colors" is narrower than in "Standard". But I would like to maximize the gamut that the display is capable of. I raised up some of the RGBCMY Saturation controls in "Custom Colors" and achieved wider gamut than in "Standard". But I did it visually with the help of test images and it seems to be not very accurate. Also setting up Hue visually seems to be not a good idea for me, since I'm afraid I can deface colors. It would be nice to have feature in dispcal that will help setting up RGBCMY Hue/Saturation controls properly.

With best regards,
Ivan