[argyllcms] Re: Display Calibration Hardware Capabilities

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 14:30:38 +1100

János, Tóth F. wrote:
> Can ArgyllCMS by any chance access the built-in color sensor of the
> EIZO CG displays?

Not at present. I don't have access to any displays with downloadable
video Luts, and certainly don't have an EIZO.

> Does anybody know that calibration hardware?
> I guess it's tweaked for the CG (may be on physical filer level) but
> is that small thing accurate enough to measure the dark patches or do
> EIZO „cheat” and use „presets” for near-black according to the target
> gamma? Or do they assume almost everybody will attack the display with
> an external sensor and that's just a dummy?

It's hard to know what they do. I saw the EIZO calibration
demo'd at one point, and by the speed and lack of test patches
I assume they are using a model of the display behaviour.

By contrast dispcal assumes very little about the display behaviour,
except that it is roughly additive.