[argyllcms] Re: Display Calibration Hardware Capabilities

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 10:12:44 +1100

János, Tóth F. wrote:
> So you generally agree that somebody who owns one i1d3 colorimeter and
> one CM spectro but no other (more accurate) instruments should not
> bother himself by generating custom *.ccss files with the CM (because
> our limited knowledge suggests that the final accuracy of the uniquely
> corrected i1d3 readings will probably be even or worse but rarely
> better)?

It depends on the situation. If the i1d3 has a suitable .edr/.ccss
and seems to work well, then there is little reason to
second guess it. If the display is suspected of having a spectral
response that doesn't match the available .edr/.ccss files and
also doesn't seem to be working well, then perhaps calibrating
against a spectrometer may help.

> I think it would be highly desirable if display manufacturers share
> accurate and precise spectral characteristics of their display models

:-) :-) I think it would be highly desirable if display manufacturers
would standardise and publish the means of setting display internal
lookup tables too, but I am not holding my breath waiting for it !

> (I think most of them measure the displays at some point even if they
> don't offer uniquely calibrated units... but those like EIZO with CG,
> NEC with PA, or even Dell with the U series could easily supply this
> data, even uniquely for every units which is not even necessary...)

I'm told that most mid and low end display manufacturers don't care much
about accurate color - they just want to churn the displays out as cheaply
as possible.

> It raises another question: Should I create ccss files with my CM and
> upload them to the online database of DispcalGUI regardless if I
> decide not to use them for my i1d3?

There hasn't been much feedback at this stage as to how much a .edr/.ccss
really aids the i1d3 accuracy. The impression I get is that since
the basic filter response is closer to the standard observer anyway,
the calibration for a particular display is somewhat less critical
than the consumer colorimeters that preceded it.