[argyllcms] Re: Dispcal interfering with colord set profile

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 00:13:17 +1100

Richard Hughes wrote:

> I've had a couple of bug reports submitted against colord where it was
> noticed that using dispread set the vcgt curves to linear (as it
> should) and the curves were not set back to the users profile setting
> after dispcal had finished.

Hi,

> 1. dispread saves the content of the vcgt and re-applies them when the
> command finishes

That's what it does.

> Solution 1 and 5 have the downside that if dispread crashes or the
> user does ctrl-c then the profile doesn't get applied.

Maybe restoring the vcgt can be added to the signal handling
code. It will have to coordinate with the USB recovery though
(ie. I'll have to make it more general).
Of the top of my head, this would seem to be the least complicated
fix.

The current way of restoring the installed profiles calibration
is "dispwin -L" for the unmodified ArgyllCMS.

> Solution 2
> means we have to get a thread involved (as colormgr device-inhibit is
> sync). Solution 3 involves adding a Linux-only DBUS (or GLib) build
> dep for ArgyllCMS and an optional run-time colord dep. Solution 4
> involves an optional build time colord dep with an optional run-time
> colord dep. My preferred solution is 4 for simplicity reasons.

There's no guarantee that the display was using the installed profile at
the time. The user might deliberately have installed some other
calibration curve, something they are free to do using dispwin.

Graeme.