[argyllcms] Re: Dispcal - Inverting Jacobian failed?

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 10:01:46 +0100

Hi,

Graeme Gill wrote:

It usually means that the display isn't behaving very well.

I thought it might :)

if the matrix is singular, probably meaning that the measured
color didn't change in response to a change in the RGB value,
ie. you're in a "dead zone" of the display response. This doesn't
help progress much :-(

Well that's consistent with the visible transition I mentioned between white and the next lightest grey.

The best thing is to try and figure
out what settings give you a progressive output - ie.
that give a different output for each possible RGB input value.

Yup - I shall experiment in due course. I suspect the default settings would behave well enough - but with those settings I find myself wanting a welding mask while using the monitor!

Thanks for the explanation of the error message - it confirms what I suspected about clipping, and also gives me a usable test to check given monitor settings for such clipping.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson