[argyllcms] Dispcal - Inverting Jacobian failed?

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 01:31:04 +0100

Hi,

Quick question - what does the error message "Inverting Jacobian failed" from dispcal mean?

I have a dirt-cheap TFT monitor here whose response I expected to be pretty funky since there's no direct backlight brightness adjustment. Instead, the "brightness" control appears to adjust some form of gamma-like curve, and the "contrast" control... well I'm not sure exactly what it's doing yet - it looks like it could be scaling the range about a pivot point that depends on the the brightness control's setting!

Unsurprisingly it's a challenge to get this monitor operating at a bearable brightness without causing either clipping in the highlights or shadows.

Anyhow, my first attempts to calibrate it led to the above mentioned error being printed in the shell window - once at the beginning of each pass. What does the error mean?

Despite the error, the resulting calibration looks pretty good. The only quality issue I see, having performed calibration and profiling, is a visible transition between white and the lightest visible grey in a greyscale ramp.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson