[argyllcms] Re: Difficulty profiling new iMac

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:54:48 +1000

Ben Goren wrote:

Just for kicks,  I just downloaded the Eye-One  Match software and
profiled the display  from it. The overall appearance  of the gray
ramp is,  at first glance,  more neutral. However, what  it really
does is bounce  back and forth between  bluish and yellowish. It's
something like this:

I'd guess that this is the three curves not quite matching. This
could be due to inaccuracy, or simply quantizing artefacts.

If the displays and video hardware supported 10 bits or
more, it might help of course :-(

I can certainly see 8 bit (or maybe that's 6 bit dithered !)
banding artefacts if I look critically at the MacBook display,
but then these flaws are swamped by the terrible vertical
angle sensitivity the display has. If you angle down low enough
to get good blacks, the greys turn a horrible brown/yellow.
If your view is angled higher, you get nice neutrals, but the
black starts to look like there is something white being reflected
in the screen surface. There is no "good" in between angle, it's one
or the other. You'd think a hot of the presses machine from Apple
would have something a bit better than this, wouldn't you ?
I guess the assumption is that noone does critical color work
on a laptop.

cheers,