[argyllcms] Re: DeviceLink Profile refining

  • From: Klaus Karcher <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:22:51 +0100

marcel nita wrote:
I have attached a few measurements.
In the archive ProofingPaper.zip you can find 2 measurement files.
Index 0 means that it was the initial target.

In PremiumGlossyPhoto.zip there are 5 measurement files. As you will
see, with this paper only on step 4 the substrate dE started to
increase.

I just took a look at the substrate values and saw what I guessed yesterday: both substrates are a little bit to dark for ISO Coated. Your substrates are round about Delta L = 1 darker than the paper you try to emulate. What you see in the second set of measurement files is just noise: in all cases the paper is emulated with only 0.4% Magenta -- refine can't and won't change anything: the Delta E cant fall below about 1 (until you use another substrate or white ink to print ;-) -- but that's ok. Also the average and max DE for "PremiumGlossyPhoto" is not bad. Refine did a good job IMO. If you also get a good visual match and smooth gradients there is nothing to complain about. Maybe the PremiumGlossyPhoto (I guess it's the one from Epson?) contains too much optical brighteners to get a good visual match in some viewing conditions.

BTW: do you know that ISO Coated is outdated and shold be replaced by ISO Coated v2 until April?

The new reference Data (FOGRA39) can be downloaded from http://www.color.org/FOGRA39.html

Additional Information about it can be found here: http://www.fogra.org/rss/blog0033.html

And here you get the new ECI Profiles: http://eci.org/eci/en/
http://eci.org/eci/downloads/ECI-en/icc_profiles_from_eci/ECI_Offset_2007.zip