[argyllcms] Device link gamut mapping: how to do it right?

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 10:27:25 +0400

The task (Win32):

Camera shots: outdoor, in AdobeRGB1998.icc space;
Inkjet printer profile: HPED2880.icc;
Desired mapping methode: perceptual.

There is mMy workflow as I understood from ArgyllCMS docs:

1. tiffgamut -ia -pj -cpcd AdobeRGB1998.icc Shot.tif
as result gives Shot.gam. As for -i key, tiffgamut document says: "NOTE that if
you are creating an image gamut suitable for use with the collink -g or -G
flags, or colprof -g, use the Jab appearance space intent for appearance space
gamut mappings, and the same input viewing conditions to be used in collink or
colprof using the -c flag, i.e. "tiffgamut -pj -cmt sRGB.icm image.tif". So I
use default intent -ia (absolute). If I'm right, there is -cpcd input viewing
condition.

2. collink -G"Shot.gam" -ip -cpcd -dpp AdobeRGB1998.icc HPED2880.icc
Shot_lnk.icc
as result gives link profile Shot_lnk.icc.

3. cctiff Shot_lnk.icc -d HPED2880.icc Shot.tif Shot_prn.tif
as result gives TIFF image for direct printing.

But I've seen the same in ImgTarget-013 (equivalent record)

1. tiffgamut.exe -ir -pj -cpcd AdobeRGB1998.icc Shot.tif
why -ir, not -ia?

2. collink -G Shot.gam -ip -op -ip -cmt -dpp AdobeRGB1998.icc HPED2880.icc
Shot_lnk.icc
why two -ip?

As I understood from the CMS documentation, in gamut maping mode the -o key
isn't used at all, as it for simple mode exclusively IMHO. Am I right? There is
clear division between simple and gamut mapping modes in colllink.htm.

So the questions: which intent I need to chose in tiffgmut? And is there the -o
key needed in collink gamut mapping mode?