[argyllcms] Re: Determining paper color from a profile?

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 19:16:20 -0700
On 2010 Feb 2, at 6:37 PM, Klaus Karcher wrote:

> Graeme's method to estimate FWA  amount is very elegant IMHO: he
> uses  the  curve  shape  as  measure  (UV  absorption  and  blue
> remission of  the FWAs cause  a typical  curve shape) --  but of
> course  you  need spectral  data  and  it's still  a  estimation
> (albeit a much better estimation than tristimulus values).

Since I  wrote that last email  I rememberd that the  printer came
with a swatch book of Canon papers. So, I've just spent a bunch of
time running through the book with my i1, and I now know *exactly*
what to look for. Papers with FWA have a very distinctive shoulder
on the left side of the plot.

For example, here's Canon's Fine Art Natural:

TIFF image

And their Fine Art Bright White:

TIFF image

I had started to get excited  over the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag sample
in  the  book,  which  measures  at  D50  Lab: 97.008566  0.533525
0.264654. But, as you can see, it  does actually have a bit of FWA
(though not a whole lot, to be sure):

TIFF image

So, I'm now  going back through the book, this  time with spotread
-S, looking for the best paper without any FWA....

Cheers,

b&