[argyllcms] Determining TIL

  • From: Martin Weberg <martin.weberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 19:52:25 +0100

Hi

I'm profiling a CMYK printer using it's own RIP and linearisation
tool. FYI, it's a matte paper and I'm using v1.0.4

To determine TIL for profiling I used to do this:
xicclu -fif -a -lx profile.icc
Inputting 0 0 0 and decrease x until L value increases.

Now, this printer/paper combination gave a TIL at 200%.

Then, I tried a different approach using:
iccgamut -ff -ia -lx profile.icc
Decreasing x until reported gamut volume decreases.

This gamut volume approach gave a TIL around 290% (442585 ccu)
Trying -l200 gave 426403 ccu only 3.5% less volume, maybe no problem.

Looking at the gamuts, using TIL 200% sacrifices colours laying
between the gamut black point and secondary colours. Because of this,
the gamut approach suits me better. Have anybody else tried this?
Comments?

Martin Weberg