[argyllcms] Re: Delta-E - the wrong value to optimize?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:52:51 +1000

Jon Zeeff wrote:
I have a plasma monitor that looks much worse when calibrated - bad posterization in the brighter reds. Is there anything I can do?

You need to investigate what's going on. Posting the dispcal verbose
output would be a start. Describing the instrument you are using would help.

Perhaps DeltaE isn't the right function to minimize and a new function that corresponds better to how a human will perceive the overall look is needed - ie, smoothness is critical. Any suggestions on modifying the code (feasibility, where to start, etc)? Any tips on why this is occurring? Is 8 bits/color just not enough?

You seem to be jumping to conclusions. You'll just be wasting your
time if you don't establish in detail what's actually going on (ie.
the behaviour of the device and the interaction with the code.)

[Note for instance that the delta E is to a *smooth* target curve.]