[argyllcms] Delta-E - the wrong value to optimize?

  • From: Jon Zeeff <jon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:51:58 -0400

I have a plasma monitor that looks much worse when calibrated - bad posterization in the brighter reds. Is there anything I can do? Perhaps DeltaE isn't the right function to minimize and a new function that corresponds better to how a human will perceive the overall look is needed - ie, smoothness is critical. Any suggestions on modifying the code (feasibility, where to start, etc)? Any tips on why this is occurring? Is 8 bits/color just not enough?