[argyllcms] Re: Dell U2711 - is it any good?

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 15:24:04 +0200

Am 24.06.2011 02:59, schrieb Graeme Gill:
A thought that's crossed my mind (even before I heard about the X-Rite
colorimeters) is that it would be possible to generically
characterise various colorimeter models,

Hello Graeme,

well, I'm wondering, how good is the inter-instrument agreement of the
sensitivity curves?
If it is good, then I would expect the matrices stored in different instruments (of
the same model) to differ only by a multiplication by a diagonal matrix (->
representing different channel gains of the individual instruments). But is this
really the case? Or do the the inter-instrument differences of the matrices rather
have a magnitude as large as for instance the difference between the CRT and the LCD
matrix (or the difference between the LCD and a wide-gamut LCD matrix) of one
instrument? In the latter case, generic ccmx matrixes for an
instrument-type/display-type pair are IMO becoming questionable as well. If a
statistically representative quantity (say > 10..20) of user's of a particular
instrument type would post the matrices stored in their instruments, then it would be
possible to get a feeling for the actual inter-instruments differences, and what to
expect consequently.

Regards,
Gehard