[argyllcms] Re: Dell U2711 - is it any good?

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 16:21:46 +0200

Am 23.06.2011 14:43, schrieb János, Tóth F.:
But what if I start to tune the gamut emulation with the internal processor of
the display hardware? The primaries will virtually change every time I change
the hardware settings.

The gamut emulation does not change the native primaries, but the
emulated/virtual primaries are constructed by mixing the native primaries. So
the spectral basis functions still remain the same, and thus the correction
matrix can remain the same too.

[ I'm actually more concerned about the deviation of many LCD displays from
additive behavior. A 3x3 correction matrix for a non-colorimetric 3-channel
sensor is strictly speaking only valid for measuring a set of spectra which can
be represented as linear combination of three basis spectra, i.e. the
correction matrix for a particular display is only valid for _all_ colors that
can be emitted by the display if the display is additive (which is not
generally granted). Hopefully the error is low in practice, since this is a
source of inaccuracy we have to live with. ]

Regards,
Gerhard