[argyllcms] Re: Dell U2711 - is it any good?

  • From: Rishi Sanyal <rishi.j.sanyal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:17:41 -0700

Grame Gill wrote:
"The closer the spectral sensitivity curves to the standard observer,
the less tuning or correction they need, and the wider range of
displays they will operate on. (No idea though how well these
new instruments work in this regard.)"

But it's hard/impossible to make filters with transmissive properties
emulating the spectral sensitivity curves. Hence correction matrices
for colorimeters. But these correction matrices can fail for a given
colorimeter when the primary of a display is substantially different
than the primary assumed when making the correction matrix.

Grame Gill wrote:
"As I said, I understand that they have the individual instrument
spectral curves in the firmware. Combine with the spectral
response of any display and you can instantly compute a
correction matrix for that particular instrument."

Right, but these new devices, being colorimeters, can't get the
'spectral response of any display'... you'd need a spectrophotometer
for that. So I don't know how they can claim that these would work
with any display in the future. If that's what they're claiming.

-Rishi