[argyllcms] Dealing with Blown Highlights in camera profiles

  • From: Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 19:01:00 +0200

Hi,

I've been profiling my camera for a while now, and in general
everything works just great.

However, I'm still having issues with homegrown profiles, and shots
with blown highlights.

I uploaded a test case:

http://files.pcode.nl/temp/BlowOutCase.zip

The daylight profile has been directly generated from and IT8 chart
and the accompanying reference file.

The standard profile has been built with the methods discussed in this thread:
  //www.freelists.org/post/argyllcms/Profiling-between-two-images
Which is basically the emulated color/gamma handling of my camera's
built in processing.

As you might notice, the standard profile handles the blown out sun
_MUCH_ better when compared to the daylight profile.

Similarly, I have this on other shots as well, for example I get
blueish or pinkish fringes on blown out clouds, or white clothing.

So I basically have two questions, first what the big difference
between these profiles might be? My first guess would be the shaper,
but then again I'm no expert.

And second, what can I do about this? Again I'd be willing to
sacrifice a little color accuracy for proper (elegant) blown highlight
handling.

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn