[argyllcms] DTP41/T transmissive mode - problems getting good strip reads

  • From: Ken Conrad <ken@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 01:08:34 -0800

I am making transmission profiles for inks used in transfer printing on translucent polyester fabrics. When my DTP41/T (set in transmissive mode) is accepting the translucent patches it makes good readings, however at least half the strips on Argyll Targen -> Printtarg created targets are rejected with "bad reads" (#27 errors). The device does manually read single patches ok, but I need to periodically make profiles and manually reading 1,000s of patches will take way too long!! I tried reading these targets with ToolCrib and ColorPort. The same strips fail, while other strips again read good, so I see that the problem is in how the DTP41/T rejects or accepts adjacent patch data, then aborts transmitting the whole strip's data. I only wish that this 'feature' of DTP41 could be overrided....

I have also tried targets created in ProfileMaker and ColorPort, which had similar problems. Targen and Printtarg offer much more flexibility and I hope, a solution, when I figure out how.

I have read that the DTP41 expects each patch to differ from the adjacent patch by a 'density of at least .5' Is it the same for the DTP41/T? What type of density is this, Status T, Standard I or ...? Perhaps this transfer printing has a lower density range so the DTP41 is rejecting patches that would be fine when printed on paper and measured via spectral reflectance.

I can use Toolcrib to make reflectance and transmission density (VCMYRGBO) readings of the same strip, but don't know what to look for to compare the data sets. Could the appropriate density data comparison for the DTP41 lead a way to modifying a section of Printtarg code so that I can print targets to fabric that the DTP41/T will like?

Since I'm stuck and my arm is getting really sore measuring individual patches.... any advice and help will be gratefully accepted!