[argyllcms] Re: DTP41 and Linux

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 19:37:17 -0700
On 2006 Jun 30, at 9:07 PM, Graeme Gill wrote:

> Alastair M. Robinson wrote:
>> Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:
>>
>>> please notice, that obviously in the dev. snapshot the meaning
>>> of the -c and -d numbers has changed and that the former "-c3"
>>> is now called "-c4".
>>
>> I'd missed  that completely -  no wonder my prints  were coming
>> out darker than I expected!
>
> Hmm. Probably       a       good       reason       to       use
> GNU      style      --options-that-go-on-forever-and-you-cant't-
> remember-them-and-you-command-line-overflows,   but   I   rather
> detest them, so I won't.

The OpenBSD approach, which I rather like, is to use a config file
for things that get that complex. I think this'd rather make a lot
of sense  for Argyll, especially  seeing how  so much of  the time
you'll be  using the exact  same options...and how the  chances of
you remembering  exactly what ``-c  4'' is supposed to  mean three
weeks after you  read the manual for the first  time are virtually
nil....

Anyway,  you  could probably  do  worse  than  to have  a  default
(hierarchy of)  location(s) for global settings,  a command switch
to specify a  particular config file, and the  ability to override
everything  with  whatever  flavor  of  command-line  options  you
prefer.

Done right, and 80% of the time you'd never have to type more than
the  command name. When  you need  to change  something from  your
normal routine, you edit a self-documenting (commented) text file;
for a one-off, you do things exactly  the same way you do now (but
probably still type far fewer options).

Cheers,

b&