[argyllcms] Re: DIY reflective spectro

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <blackfive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 18:30:50 +0000

Hi,

Stephan Bourgeois wrote:

Hmm I'm afraid you're dreaming.

Hehe - thought I might be! :)

To begin with the weakest point in flatbed scanners: the cold cathode lamp. Very spiky spectrum, you're not going to go very far. This is why I got better results using a digital camera as a poor man's colorimeter than a flatbed scanner.

Indeed. Nonetheless, if the light coming from the patch being measured is split such that its spectrum covers even a quarter of an inch of the CCD you're still getting *far* more information about the patch than a simple RGB reading.

Even replacing the lamp wouldn't be totally impossible, bearing in mind that we don't need to cover the full width of the scanner - just a small patch.

Even if you were able to adapt the optical path and add a diffraction grating or a prism, you would need some relatively accurate mechanics to be able to *replicate* the angle of the prism/grating.

Really? If the position of the optics is fixed in relation to the CCD, why is this a problem?

I can see that the CCFL's spectrum combined with the RGB filters that (presumably) would be difficult to remove from the CCD would mean this idea wouldn't give us accurate spectral readings, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to calibrate the readings well enough to get reasonably accurate XYZ measurements?

If this method could even come close to the ColorMouse's accuracy it would be worthwhile simply because of the strip-reading potential.

Also, scanners vary a *great* deal - my Dad's just bought an Epson RX620 all-in-one machine, and the scanner's *fantastic* - I've generated two profiles using it that come pretty close to those made with the ColorMouse.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson