[argyllcms] Re: DIY probe

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 23:40:56 +1000

Frédéric Mantegazza wrote:

This probe was only designed for beamer calibration. Graeme, did you make
tests on a beamer? Does it give not-so-bad results? I guess it will
never be a pro-instrument, but, well, for the price...

No, I've not had the opportunity to use it on a projector, although
I imagine it will work best in that sort of application, since that
was what it was designed for. I really think that if you're going to
go to the trouble of calibrating, it's worth the couple of hundred
dollars price difference between a DIY instrument and a commercial
instrument for the flexibility of being able to calibrate displays,
and the assurance that the instrument has been calibrated against
traceable standards for colorimetric and absolute brightness accuracy.

I think the HCFR project is a fine effort, but it would have to
take a step up with a version 2 using a different sensor, to
play both in the monitor calibration and home cinema game.