[argyllcms] Re: Custom illumination

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 01:00:07 +1100

Klaus Kompatscher wrote:
Ok this sounds all quite logic and I could simulate things you mentioned.
If printing by using relative Intend the print looks OK.
Initially I have been shocked because I did only a softproof by using Source
-> relative -> Printer -> absolut -> Monitor conversion and the Monitor
image has nothing to do with the print.
Perhaps this is the point you can't see to fit an option the way PM is doing
it?

There's no point. If you are doing absolute matching, then you
want what Argyll is doing with absolute intent, because
it is giving you actual absolute color values. If you want
relative matching, then Argyll's relative intent will do
what you want. Profile Makers absolute intent is useless
in this situation because it nulls out the the absolute values,
and you get (almost) relative values instead.

Or to put this another way, why is this not what you are expecting ?
What are you attempting to do ?

Why are you surprised by the softproof - you are using an absolute
soft proof, so naturally it shows the actual color of the print
under that illumination. If the monitor profile is properly
using absolute intent (which may not be the case if it's a
Profile Maker profile), then you should be able to do a side
by side between the monitor and the print under the measured
illuminant, and they should match. (This is often a tough
proofing situation though, unless you remove any distracting
white point cues from the display.)