[argyllcms] Re: Custom Illuminant

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 11:42:25 -0700

On Jul 8, 2014, at 11:33 AM, Roger Breton <graxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If memory serves, BetaRGB was created by Bruce Lindbloom a long time ago to
> fully encompass one the going CMYK color gamut, was it SWOP?

That was only one of his goals. He also wanted something that included the
gamuts of various charts (multiple versions of the ColorChecker) and film
stocks, and had efficiency and various other requirements (to reduce
posterization, etc.). I don't think anybody else has put as much thought into a
color space as Bruce did into BetaRGB. All color spaces are compromises one way
or another, whether you want them to be or not; the only questions are what
you're going to compromise. Bruce found a really, really good balance.

b&