[argyllcms] Re: Custom Illuminant

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 17:19:35 -0700

There's another elephant in the room. Adobe's RAW development engine is
optimized for "pleasing" color, not accurate color. And, indeed, accurate color
isn't really an option with Adobe's RAW development engine; you can't, for
example, do decent fine art reproduction / giclee work with it.

RawPhotoProcessor is the best I've found. It outputs directly to BetaRGB, or
even to Lab.

As a practical matter, I've not run into gamut limitations with Beta RGB. It
encompasses either all or almost all of my iPF8100's gamut, even on baryta
papers. AdobeRGB, on the other hand, clips a bit on my best matte paper (Museo
Portfolio Rag), and substantially on baryta papers. The only other space I
output to is sRGB, which, of course, is fully encompassed by Beta RGB.

In your shoes, ProPhoto may well be the least evil option, but it'd be worth
spending some time comparing gamut plots.

b&