[argyllcms] Re: Custom Illuminant

  • From: <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 01:01:06 +0100

Thanks for your suggestions!  The main reason I use ProPhoto is that
Lightroom only gives the options of sRGB, Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB to
export to Photoshop. Also, Lightroom itself uses a variant of ProPhoto as
its internal working space, so that there is no clipping when going from a
raw image developed in Lightroom to ProPhoto in Photoshop.

I can see that there would be an advantage in having a D50 white point
(which ProPhoto RGB has).

Beta RGB has a 2.2 gamma, eciRGB an L* curve and ProPhoto has a gamma of
1.8. I don't understand the pros and cons. Bruce Lindbloom says regarding
gamma: "it is an important consideration for controlling quantization" and
his conclusion is that a gamma of 2.2 is nearly optimal.

And, finally and perhaps more importantly, as I am constrained to (sRGB,
AdobeRGB or) ProPhotoRGB when going from Lightroom to Photoshop ... would an
extra conversion to eciRGB or Beta RGB not potentially cause damage to the
image (for example in clipping OOG colors and quantization errors)?

Robert