[argyllcms] Re: Custom Illuminant

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:51:21 +1000

robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> What I meant is that Absolute rendering, in moving the gray line shifts all
> colors by the same amount (as opposed to a proportional shift as in
> Relative).

Nothing useful shifts colors by a fixed offset in either XYZ or L*a*b*
or any other typical color space. Typically shifting a white point
involves moving all the other colors in a way that has most effect
for colors with a similar Y/L*, and proportionally less as you
get close to black, the details depending on what space it is done
in, and whether there is a chromatic adaption matrix involved, etc.

> It would seem to me that there is still the potential for out-of-gamut
> clipping to the working space as a result of the shifting of the colors.
> Would that be the case?

I'm not sure what context you are implying, so it's not possible
to specifically answer this. In general, any transformation from one
limited gamut space to another has potential for clipping.