[argyllcms] Re: Creating ICC profiles of known color spaces

  • From: Elle Stone <l.elle.stone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 08:44:25 -0500

On 11/22/12, Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 22 November 2012 12:55, Chris Lilley <chris@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> A third alternative is to write it in a text editor, in xml. Then convert
>> to a binary ICC profile.
>
> Yes, I suppose this has the advantage of being able to use the simpler
> curv rather than the para default curve LCMS uses. On the other hand,
> I suppose we're talking about a couple of bytes per profile here.
>
> Richard.

When using iccToXml to convert an icc profile to xml, modify
something, and then using iccFromXml to convert back to an icc
profile, at least in my experience gamma curve tone response curves
(gamma 2.2, gamma 1.8, gamma 1.0, etc) are missing from the resulting
icc profile. Or rather, what you get is a profile with a gamma=0 tone
response curve.

My work-around has been to use the icc profile inspector (color.org,
free but not open source, runs under wine) first to export the wanted
gamma curve as a text file (can be done from any profile that has the
right gamma curve), and then again to import it into the icc profile
that I created using iccFromXml.

I'm using SampleIcc Version 1.6.5, ICCXML Version 0.9.1 from openSUSE
home:bekun:devel / openSUSE_Factory, but I had the same problem when I
compiled it directly from source. I never thought to make a bug
report, but will try to do so today.

--
Elle Stone
http://ninedegreesbelow.com - articles on open source digital photography