[argyllcms] Re: Create custom screen profile with fake generated color measurements.

  • From: hmhef <hmhef.z1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 17:14:40 +0200

Thank you very much for the information, based on what you are saying, I will have to look for an alternate solution.

You are correct, what i noticed mostly was change in the white point, and gamma for some colors.

On 10/13/2016 10:04 PM, Etienne Dechamps wrote:

On 13 October 2016 at 01:05, hmhef <hmhef.z1@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:hmhef.z1@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I think all my applications use color management properly, i have
    used random icc profiles that are supposed to be made for displays
    similar in model number, and all applications behaved nicely as
    far as i can tell.

Careful. ICC profiles can be confusing because they contain two very distinct types of data: the calibration information, which is typically applied system-wide by the OS and doesn't depend on the application, and the actual profile data, which is *not* applied system-wide and needs to be actively loaded by the application (i.e. the application needs to explicitly support ICC).

The problem is that only the latter can be used to fix saturation or hue; the former is only a 3x1DLUT, not a 3DLUT, and therefore can only be used to fix the white point and gamma.

I suspect that when you say that "applications behaved nicely", what you actually saw was the *calibration* information being applied - but what you really want is for the *profiling* information to be used. I suspect that if you were to generate an ICC profile that is only meant to affect saturation and doesn't contain any calibration information, you will find that most of your applications will completely ignore your profile (with a few exceptions, e.g. Photoshop).