[argyllcms] Re: Create custom screen profile with fake generated color measurements.

  • From: hmhef <hmhef.z1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 02:05:46 +0200

The main reason i am trying to do this approach because of eye strain I get from over saturated colors (mostly blues and sometimes green and magenta).

I have 2 computers where i want to use this, one is a laptop with wide gamut display (90% adobeRGB according to reviews),
and another computer with supposedly near sRGB (probably 80% to 90% according to reviews), but with slightly over sRGB in specific hues.

I think all my applications use color management properly, i have used random icc profiles that are supposed to be made for displays similar in model number, and all applications behaved nicely as far as i can tell.

However those random downloaded icc profiles are far from good.

I am hoping to do a proof of concept, then will adjust what colors to reduce saturation for.

from what i understand, without proper color calibration hardware, i am not getting accurate color representation anyway, so might as well try to reduce eye strain while not getting accurate color representation.

On 10/13/2016 1:51 AM, Graeme Gill wrote:

hmhef wrote:
The reason why i want to use color calibration is that when using the
combination of
(windows + intel graphics + hdmi), the saturation and hue settings are not
available, due
to intel graphics misbehaving. .. and when using linux, there is no saturation
option
AFAIK, therefore, icc profiles is quick fix for windows and linux in my
situation.
Maybe. You don't really say whether your problem with overly saturated colors
is because of your personal preferences, or that you are dealing with a
wide gamut display.

The problem with an ICC profile approach (as already mentioned) is that a lot
of applications don't use color management, and will therefore ignore any ICC
profile.
If you are dealing with a wide gamut display problem, then if applications (and
the
GUI) are color managed, simply using a representative ICC profile for the
display should improve things.

Many wide gamut displays have an "sRGB" emulation mode, which is one way
around over saturation problems, although you are then wasting the capability
of a wide gamut display.

Graeme Gill.