[argyllcms] Re: Correction for wide gamut screens and/or RGB-LED?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:56:17 +1000

adam k wrote:
Am I to understand that CMunki is better than dtp94? Should I replace
dtp94 then to calibrate my u2410 and to make printer profiles?

They are different types of instruments. The dtp94 is a colorimeter,
while the ColorMunki (Design or Photo) is a spectrometer.
[Note that the ColorMunki Create is a version of the i1display 2 colorimeter.]

A colorimeter depends on its physical filters being a match to the
observer curves, and typically in low cost (non-laboratory) instruments
we're talking about here, the match isn't very good, hence all the problems
with wide gamut monitors. A spectrometer analyzes the spectrum of
the device, so the observer curves are implemented in software,
and are a lot more accurate, hence a spectrometer can deal with
wide gamut monitors well. The ColorMunki is also much more flexible device.