[argyllcms] Correction for wide gamut screens and/or RGB-LED?

  • From: Steffen <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 18:45:02 +0200

ArgyllCMS delivers very good results when using a colorimeter in
combination with a "standard" TFT, meaning normal backlight, no extended
gamut and no LEDs to illuminate the screen.

Now, widegamut TFTs become more and more popular and different
techniques like LEDs are used to drive the screen.

While that does not pose a problem in conjunction with a
spectrophotometer, I know that colorimeters are calibrated to a certain
spectrum for the standard lightsource used in a monitor. The iColor
software, developed by Quato, includes correction matrices for their
inhouse-monitors when used with a colorimeter, and they even provide a
"generic" correction matrix, when using a colorimeter and a widegamut
screen.

How does ArgyllCMS cope with this, are there any plans (or even just
data on the deviation) for the future? I find that not only software
developers have to face the problem of designing their software so that
it uses some form of CMM, but that the profiling process itself is
affected by the changes in display technology.

Greets,
Steffen