[argyllcms] Re: Conversion of spectral file to .cie

  • From: Elle Stone <ellestone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 14:38:11 -0400

On 10/14/2016 01:40 PM, Dp Mailit wrote:
Unless they make their own camera input profile, Linux users and people
using free/libre raw processors perforce use the camera matrices in dcraw

technically people using RawTherapee can use, for example, DCP (and
certainly "ICC/ICM") profiles ( and build ones using DCamProf =
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=100015.0 ;,
http://www.ludd.ltu.se/~torger/dcamprof.html  ;,
http://www.ludd.ltu.se/~torger/photography/camera-profiling.html  ;)... and
the said converter runs in linux (you need to build it first of course)

RawTherapee is available already built from most Linux package managers. So Linux users don't need to build RT unless they want the most cutting edge version.

However, the RT "Camera standard" input profiles are the dcraw matrices, and the "Auto-matched" camera profiles are made by RT users who almost certainly weren't using a high tech laboratory setup such as Ben and Iliah use.

So again for us mere mortals making a general purpose camera input profile seems like a worthwhile thing to do, unless one assumes that "someone else can always do a better job". Which might indeed be a good assumption for people who use RPP (not having access, I'm just taking Ben's word that the RPP profiles are really good).

I greatly value Ben's input, and also Iliah's input, on profile-making. Ben and Iliah are major contributors to most of the ArgyllCMS forum threads that I have saved over the years, and I've learned huge amounts by trying to keep up with their discussions about making better camera input profiles.

But I don't think a person trying to make a general purpose input profile needs to go to quite the lengths that one needs to go to for colorimetrically accurate, special purpose, controlled studio lighting photography.

On the other hand, a reality check like "Why are you trying to correct a set of values when any correction you might make is probably on the wrong side of the margin of error" is very useful!

 On 10/14/2016 01:35 PM, Dp Mailit wrote:
as RPP doesn't seem to be available for Linux or Windows.
technically RPP works in OSX, OSX works (screw EULA) in VmWare, VmWare runs
on PC/Windows (and Linux)

Well, see, first you have to set up VmWare (a chore some people aren't willing to undertake), and then you have to buy an OSX license, unless you are willing to as you say "screw EULA", by which I'm guessing you mean pirate rather than purchase the license - if you mean something else, my apologies! and please correct my interpretation of your words!

Best,
Elle
--
http://ninedegreesbelow.com
Color management and free/libre photography