[argyllcms] Re: Contrast vs Brightness on my LCD monitor and related questions

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 08:59:54 +1100

Leonard Evens wrote:
But I'm not sure at this point whether or not I should be using the
ambient light measurement at all.  When I calibrated/profiled this same
monitor last year---I thought successfully---with version 0.8, there was
no ambient light option.

That's really up to you. It won't make much difference to the
profiling, but it may make a difference to applications that
are not color managed (video replay ?), where the visual
result should probably take account of the viewing conditions.

On another point, whatever I do, I always get a message like
Failed to meet target 0.600000 delta E, got worst case 0.607690
with different worst cases.
Does this mean anything?

It means that it's (just) failing to pull the response curve to the target.

As I said, it does if I don't use the ambient light option.  According
to the `Amazing Gamma Applet', gamma seems to be between 2.1 and 2.4.

Since it probably measures gamma differently, I wouldn't expect great
agreement.