[argyllcms] Re: Compatibility with X-Rite Products

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:51:15 +0100

Am 15.03.2013 11:42, schrieb Gerhard Fuernkranz:

Am 15.03.2013 03:22, schrieb Graeme Gill:
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how well the virtual environment implements
things like the display driver and USB driver to the host. Implemented
faithfully it should work. If they've omitted something, it won't work.

I'm in particular wondering whether the virtual graphics cards of various VM
products do emulate individual per channel LUTs for each VM (which are
essential for calibration), since I imagine that a software emulation of LUTs
may be expensive. However, if the emulator uses e.g. OpenGL to draw to the host
display, then a well performing LUT emulation with a fragment shader (running
on the GPU) would be IMO realizable as well.

Even if the VM's virtual graphics card does emulate LUTs (thus enabling an
individual calibration of each VM) the calibration of the host display does
possibly still matter, since both, the VM's and the host's LUTs might be
applied in sequence then (depending on the implementation).

Best Regards,
Gerhard