[argyllcms] Re: Colprof question

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 07:28:33 +1100

Fabrizio Levati wrote:
Nikolay, you are right about the TIL but what I am trying to understand is why,
starting from
the same characterization data (FOGRA39) and using the same TIL and a similar
Black generation
rule, I am not able to obtain a result similar to that produced by different
profiling software.

Without knowing exactly what algorithms other software uses, it's not possible
to really explain the differences, and without analysing profiles from the
same data set in some detail, it's not possible to suggest how to get
similar black generation, if it's possible at all.

The problem
is that I find almost impossible to manage the CMY inks level the way I want.
The same TIL,
as you say, can lead to a black curve that ends at the upper right corner of
the graph, only
if you can limit/define the amount of CMY versus K along the whole range from 0
to 100%.

Yes, they are not the easiest of controls, but at the moment I can't think
of a way to improve them without a substantially different approach to
the whole problem. I'm not sure it's such a good goal to try and
match some other package though. It's better if you are trying to
get a particular result out of a print.

In
the list there are
experts that can say if I'm wrong saying that we are speaking about what is
normally called
"Black Width"...

My understanding of "Black width" is that it refers to how much influence the
black
generation setting has away from the neutral axis. Traditionally I think
this means that a "narrow" setting has minimal black and maximum CMY away
from the neutral axis. Currently in Argyll I don't have a "width" control
of this sort, the black generation is "wide", ie. it affects all of the color
space.