[argyllcms] Re: Colour profiles in Vista and how are they used?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:23:03 +1100

Ross Marchant wrote:

video card with dispwin -L. The screens changed and everything looks fantastic,
but I
really would like to know how these .icm profiles are used in Vista. Firstly,
when
vista starts, even though the .icm profiles are set as default for each screen
they
start off with what looks like a linear profile and I have to use dispwin to
reload
them. From what I have read this is a bug?

Hi,

It's just the way Vista is (it may be for legal reasons). You can create
a startup task that will load the calibration - see
<http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/dispprofloc.html>.

Secondly, how do profile aware apps like Adobe Lightroom change .icm profile?

They are either going to pick up the system registered display profile
themselves when they start, or perhaps even in real time,
or you may have to configure them manually. Since I don't have
Lightroom, I can't tell you specifically what it does.

Do they adjust the picture because of it?

If they are color aware applications (and most Adobe applications
should be), then yes, they will adjust the colors displayed on
the screen appropriately.

If I use
dispwin -c to clear the video lut and then load lightroom, would lightroom make
adjustments for the .icm profile?

Yes it will, but of course it will look wrong, because the profile is invalid
unless the display is calibrated the way it was during profiling. Most
applications will have no awareness of the calibration state of
the display - that's not their responsibility. They just have to
deal with the profile characterization information.

If the video lut was already loaded with the profile,

Video LUTs don't contain profiles, they contain calibration curves.
The calibration may have been loaded from the profile, since display
profiles (by convention) contain calibration curves in the 'vcgt' tag.
See <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/calvschar.html>.

would lightroom still make changes to the picture and therefore distort it? I
notice
that Lightroom does apply some sort of colour correction to the picture, this
especially noticeable when moving Lightroom between monitors as you see the
picture
looking a bit wrong (previous monotor calibration?) then half a second later
some
adjustment is applied and it looks fine (adjusted with this monitor's *.icm
taken into
account?)

Sounds like it is correcting the displayed color of the image by transforming
from the source color space to the display color space (as it should).

Thirdly, in the advanced tab of the Color Managment dialog, should Viewing
conditions profile be set to System Default (WCS profile for ICC viewing
conditions)

I'm not clear if this is a Lightroom dialog, or a Vista dialog. If it's a Vista
dialog, and if it just specifically viewing conditions (not the device
characterization),
then set it appropriately for your viewing conditions.

?I'm sorry if this post is a little off topic but I couldn't find the answers
anywhere
else and I figured this forum would be sure to know. Thanks to the creators for
the
great software! Is there a tray app for windows to load the profiles, run a
simple
calibration etc? I was thinking of making one.

Currently there's nothing that specific.